[T3] type 4 2000cc oil pressure and overheating problem

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Dec 9 09:27:53 PST 2011

Pablo asked about this on our UK Type 3&4 club forum, but we don't get
consistently high air temperatures here, so I referred him to type3.org as I
know Keith had problems with his Type 4 rebuild.  Hopefully when Pablo has
checked all the things that have been mentioned, he may find the problem,
but I've a feeling Keith hasn't fully solved it yet, though.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club
===================

Jon Stiles' reply snipped.

> On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 5:21 AM, pablo vial de ruyt
> <pablo_vent at hotmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Hi, i from Chile and looking for real empirical experience, need help
>> for oil temp problem with my automatic Westfalia 1978 (stock 2000cc,
>> type 4 - dual carbs solex 32-34 pdsit-3), my interest is only summer
>> use with long travels with my family (need fiability) ....temp range
>> in my country in summer is 75-95 Fº. Rebuilt 20 or 30 type 1 engines
>> without problems, but first experience with a type 4. Is second time
>> rebuilt my engine in 2 month.....first time (without fuel pump push
>> rod install) overheating and melted after only 40 miles
>> run......possible causes: plugs white lean, timing incorrect 10-12º
>> btdc, 7,8 CR, possible low oil pressure, etc....Now i rebuilt again
>> (very expensive) crank completly machined 0,25 and check, new
>> bearings, new piston and barrels kit, heads ok, and install
>> aftermarket Schadeck oil pump (1829 CB performance for type4/914) fit
>> ok , holes alignment, but difference size holes oil pump, 7,3 CR , 3º
>> btdc to 850 rpms with 28 max (without vacuum hose connected), and
>> increase 125 fuel jets to 140 size....This time installed oil pressure
and temp gauge for better control.

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u236/mr_bojangles500/