[T3] Generator and Fuel Line Problems

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Dec 30 20:33:46 PST 2011

On 31 Dec 2011 at 3:06, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> Fuel Line:
> I got a roll of 5/16" fuel line and some larger diameter hose clamps that
> come with a plastic key for tightening. I will get under there soon and do
> the R&R.

Interesting. I don't think I've seen that style of hose clamp before.

> Is the line coming in on the right side of the frame above the transmission
> from the fuel tank?  What parts of the fuel system have the fuel pressure
> besides at the rails where we have the test port?

The line on the RIGHT (US passenger) side is carrying fuel back TO
the tank, with almost no pressure in it.

The line on the LEFT (US driver) side is under pressure, as is all
the line that you can see in the engine compartment. Of course there
is also pressurized line up front, too, after the fuel pump.

> Generator:
> The pulley spacer is correct and has the flat sides and I do believe I have
> the open end wrench that you mention. The generator has a slight rock to it
> with a squeak when you test the belt pressure which concerns me.

Type 3 belts really don't have to be very tight. Unlike the belts on
almost any other car, this belt carries power ONLY to the generator,
so it's rather lightly loaded. It's easy to overtighten it, which
will put extra stress on both the bearings and the belt.

Even on Beetles, the generator belt also drives the fan, which is a
much bigger load than the generator. Type 4 engines, like Type 3
engines, have belts which only drive the electrical load.

You really can't tell the condition of the generator bearings without
taking the generator apart, unless one of them fails completely
(which I've never seen.) With the engine running, however, you can
use a long screwdriver as a stethoscope to listen to those bearings
to see if they sound rough. It's a good idea to do this early in the
life of the generator so you know what a good bearing sounds like.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org