[T3] Generator and Fuel Line Problems

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Dec 31 08:03:32 PST 2011

In a message dated 12/30/2011 11:34:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

You  really can't tell the condition of the generator bearings without
taking  the generator apart, unless one of them fails completely
(which I've never  seen.) With the engine running, however, you can
use a long screwdriver as  a stethoscope to listen to those bearings
to see if they sound rough. It's  a good idea to do this early in the
life of the generator so you know what  a good bearing sounds like.

And if you let the bearings go too long, it'll almost sound like an
internal engine bearing going.:O  BTDT, on my son's car. We finally tracked  the
sound down by removing the generator belt. It got quiet once we did  that. We
disassembled the generator, and replaced the bearings (we also replaced
the brushes, and cleaned up the armature while we were in there), and all  is
well again. Jim has the number for the bearings, and they are the same thru
all t-3s (6 & 12 volt).

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)