[T3] Rattling shifter (Jim Adney)

Richard Hamje richard at hamje.net
Tue Feb 1 12:50:33 PST 2011

Hi Bryon,

You are correct - the ring goes on first, then the bushing.  When I did mine, I had so much trouble getting the bushing on that I pulled the shift rod entirely out.  In the process of re-inserting it, the bushing fell off and then rolled (of course) all the way to a point under the back seat.  There is other stuff in the tunnel that can hang up the shift rod when you insert it (clutch and accelerator cable, fuel tubes) and it was the process of back-and-forth to avoid these that caused it to fall off.  Plus I have some wiring in the tunnel also.

On my second attempt, I did it as I described earlier (although the ring went on before the bushing).  Perhaps the tape is not necessary, but I was paranoid

In theory, you could , pull the rod completely out the front, precisely mark the spot where the new bushing should be when fully inserted (perhaps a millimeter more to the rear than the current bushing), mount the new bushing in it's final resting spot with the retaining ring in place, then slide the whole thing back in.  This way you'd be fitting the retaining ring with the rod on your workbench, which would be far easier than with it in the car.  Also no risk of it falling off.

Best of luck!
Richard

Richard,

I remember you doing this so thanks for chiming in.  I read your
instructions a couple of times and I am wondering, is your retaining ring
more toward the rear of the car or the front of the car?  If you look at my
picture:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QRI5DJTd_0VWRv9_2ixYGhcfKKAyAIKBl44rFl1M4Ig?feat=directlink

the ring is toward the front of the car.  In fact, its slipped off due to
the lip on the bushing breaking off.  You can see it just floating free
ahead of the bushing.

So my question is, seems to me as the rod is pushed back in by my friend, I
would put the ring on first (like you see it in my picture), then the
bushing, get it seated in the bracket under the shifter and snap the ring on
the bushing.  Yes?

When I read your instructions, it sounds like you put the ring on last.
Also, I can't see how your bushing fell off into the tunnel.  Mine is split
on one side and slips over the rod.  It wouldn't fall off on it's own.  Do
we have different kinds, or am I missing something?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd rather be prepared for problems than
wonder what to do next if I get stuck.

Thanks!

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback