[T3] Cleaning the Clock....

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 10:32:02 PST 2011

I have two kinds of clocks. One has the white rear cover...with "KIENZEL" brand on it...made in Germany.   It has two small nuts to undo... But the cover won't budge. I don't want to use force with a screwdriver unless I know that this is the thing to do.
 This clock has a little speed adjustment screw on back.

  The other kind has a metal cover on back. Two small screws...and the cover comes off easily.  I'll clean up that one to see if it works. Face and trim are in good shape. But this has no speed adjustment screw.

But...how to get the white covers off the other type?

Subject: Re: [T3] Cleaning the Clock....

The white cover should come off after the obvious is removed.

That sounds very slow - it must be responding to earth tremors or something!
Maybe the impulse contacts are not really winding it.

Experts use some sort of clock cleaning fluid and lubricate with special
thin clock lubricant.

I've had success spraying with WD40 - I suspect it thins the stiff oil and
cleans a bit of dirt out.

If it's the impulse-wound type (I think I remember the plastic back is), you
may need to use some fine emery cloth to brighten the contacts.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club