[T3] Cleaning the Clock....

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Feb 8 18:58:25 PST 2011

On 8 Feb 2011 at 17:40, J. Jonik wrote:

> How to clean a clock?

>  But first, how to get it apart to even start cleaning it?   Some
> versions come apart easily, if memory serves...but what about the kind
>  ("KIENZLE" on the back)  with two little nuts to remove? Nothing
> budges after the nuts are removed.  There's a gray-blue round thing
> stuck on a brass rod that is a question. Is that to be pried
> off...pulled off...left alone...unscrewed...or what?  Should the whole
> white plastic casing on the back be pried off after the nuts are
> removed?

Crush that round thing with your pliers and uncover the nut within.
Remove the nut and the back will come off. The round thing is a
tamper seal, but your warrantee is long past.

>  Then, what's the story on cleaning and-or lubricating the inside to
> make the clock work again?  Clock in car now takes about a month to go
> one hour.

You can look it over, check out the "fuse," and examine the pivot
bearings to see if they are worn elongated.  If everything's fine,
you can try flushing it out with WD-40. Even the best results tend to
be rather poor by today's standards.

I do a very basic repair for $25, but I can't guarantee good
timekeeping.

> Without a clock, how to know what time the car stalls out to
> coordinate pushing or towing help?

Check your cell phone.   ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org