[T3] stock cam advice

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 20:15:11 PST 2011

In a message dated 2/21/2011 9:08:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

On 21  Feb 2011 at 19:31, David wrote:

> My question is about my cam. It's  a stock 4 rivet -2 cam that looks in
> pretty good shape, but this is a  rebuild so I should get a new cam and
> followers.

Cams are a  problem, so I've always reused the original cams and
replaced the lifters.  Unless there's something clearly amiss with the
old cam it will be okay,  but buy your lifters from a reliable source,
like Berg. There are lifters  out there that are too soft and they
wear out VERY quickly.

After  the align bore, it's possible that the crank center line
changed slightly.  If this happened, your old cam might be too tight.
You must check its mesh  with the crank gear. Do this by installing
the crank in the left case half  along with the cam, then turn the
crank thru 2 revolutions. If the mesh is  too tight, the interference
will lift the cam out of its  bearings.

Of course, to see this effect you have to turn the crank CCW  as seen
from the rear of the engine (as installed in the left case  half.)

I'm with Jim on this. I did use a newer cam that was made by COFAP in
Brazil in my 71 Notch engine, but it had already been ran for a while, so it was
 already broke in. I did use new cam followers (lifters) on it. Keep in
mind,  that IF you keep the OE cam, you need an oil pump that IS designed to
work with  the 4 rivit cam. Most new pumps are for the older 3 rivit cam, so
specify  that you have a 4 rivit cam when you order one up. In case you're
wondering, the  difference is in the length behind the pump housing, as the 4
rivit cam  face is dished. You can get your old followers reground, but they
might not  match where they were originally when you get them back. Just
something to think  about. ;^)

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)