[T3] stock cam advice

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Feb 21 18:08:30 PST 2011

On 21 Feb 2011 at 19:31, David wrote:

> My question is about my cam. It's a stock 4 rivet -2 cam that looks in
> pretty good shape, but this is a rebuild so I should get a new cam and
> followers.

Cams are a problem, so I've always reused the original cams and
replaced the lifters. Unless there's something clearly amiss with the
old cam it will be okay, but buy your lifters from a reliable source,
like Berg. There are lifters out there that are too soft and they
wear out VERY quickly.

After the align bore, it's possible that the crank center line
changed slightly. If this happened, your old cam might be too tight.
You must check its mesh with the crank gear. Do this by installing
the crank in the left case half along with the cam, then turn the
crank thru 2 revolutions. If the mesh is too tight, the interference
will lift the cam out of its bearings.

Of course, to see this effect you have to turn the crank CCW as seen
from the rear of the engine (as installed in the left case half.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org