[T3] stock cam advice

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 17:35:26 PST 2011

> From: rdavid at rochester.rr.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 19:31:59 -0500
> Subject: [T3] stock cam advice
>
> Hello All,
>
> I'm in the process of rebuilding my first VW AC engine. It's a 72 type 3
> motor with about 140K miles on it. My plan is to keep the factory FI, so
> this motor is going back in stock form. I have sent the block to RIMCO and
> have it back after align bore, case savers, drill for full flow, and such. I
> already have the 85.5 pistons, and Russ has rebuild the heads (Thanx to Russ
> for donating a head rebuild job at the 2010 Invasion auction!).

Once you rebuild your first engine, you will not be the same, as I found out.

One finds out it is not all that hard to build an engine, and gives such a

deeper understanding and respect.

> My question is about my cam. It's a stock 4 rivet -2 cam that looks in
> pretty good shape, but this is a rebuild so I should get a new cam and
> followers. Well; RIMCO doesn't have stock cams, and they wanted to grind
> down and re-index my used cam. I don't know what that specifically entails,
> but I said no thanx. Berg only has Brazilian cams in stock grind, and they
> said those cams are not so pretty. I did keep track of which follower came
> out of what location just in case I had to put back the original cam. I just
> checked my original followers, and they do NOT have any crown to them. If I
> put a straightedge across the face; I can JUST see light under the
> straightedge.....but a dish nonetheless. Berg said I could use new followers
> with a used cam, but I have not mailed out my cam to them to inspect it.

Is the original camshaft?  If so, it needs to be kept with the original case.

So many engines are not properly set up which is in part due to the fact they

only sell 0 gears.  Also, if it is original be worth keeping it as German is

best stock and then get good lifters.

> So my question is; has anybody bought a new stock cam and followers from a
> good source that they are happy with? I see ~some~ of the usual suppliers
> offer stock grind cams, but I have yet to see anyone offer it in a -2 gear.
> I have not called any of them to ask about a -2 cam gear yet.....I figured
> I'd ask here first ;-).

I used a non-stock camshaft from Web, but they do sell one that is stock or

near to it, made in California.

What you do is grind/drill out the rivets, then drill recesses for bolt holes,

then bolt the gear onto the camshaft.  I had the local machine shop do the

drilling then I bolted on the correct gear.  Took a half day of digging and

fiddling to get it set up, but makes a noticeable differance.

> I'm afraid to get one of these "ugly" Brazilian cams from a unfamiliar
> source.

If it does not feel right, do not do it. ;)

Thank you,

Adriel