[T3] stock cam advice

David rdavid at rochester.rr.com
Mon Feb 21 16:31:59 PST 2011

Hello All,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my first VW AC engine. It's a 72 type 3
motor with about 140K miles on it. My plan is to keep the factory FI, so
this motor is going back in stock form. I have sent the block to RIMCO and
have it back after align bore, case savers, drill for full flow, and such. I
already have the 85.5 pistons, and Russ has rebuild the heads (Thanx to Russ
for donating a head rebuild job at the 2010 Invasion auction!).

My question is about my cam. It's a stock 4 rivet -2 cam that looks in
pretty good shape, but this is a rebuild so I should get a new cam and
followers. Well; RIMCO doesn't have stock cams, and they wanted to grind
down and re-index my used cam. I don't know what that specifically entails,
but I said no thanx. Berg only has Brazilian cams in stock grind, and they
said those cams are not so pretty. I did keep track of which follower came
out of what location just in case I had to put back the original cam. I just
checked my original followers, and they do NOT have any crown to them. If I
put a straightedge across the face; I can JUST see light under the
straightedge.....but a dish nonetheless. Berg said I could use new followers
with a used cam, but I have not mailed out my cam to them to inspect it.

So my question is; has anybody bought a new stock cam and followers from a
good source that they are happy with? I see ~some~ of the usual suppliers
offer stock grind cams, but I have yet to see anyone offer it in a -2 gear.
I have not called any of them to ask about a -2 cam gear yet.....I figured
I'd ask here first ;-).

I'm afraid to get one of these "ugly" Brazilian cams from a unfamiliar
source.

Dave Pallo
'72 Square ~ "Elwood"
Fairport, NY