[T3] Old Type IIIs

Jimmy Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 10:16:25 PST 2011

Okay, okay.... but before you burn me at the stake, my final words:

I have known so many people with FI type III's; from pristine low mileage/never
tampered with cars to total beaters that had been hacked apart by idiot
mechanics; I have driven them after having the FI system completely redone by a
man who I consider to be one of the foremost authorities on aircooled vw's (type
III and otherwise) in the U.S., who has been servicing the FI on  those cars
since they were new at the dealership.... and there is no comparison with my
carb setup. Maybe I just got lucky? It's a stock motor, Weber 34ICT carbs with
no chokes; always started immediately in sub zero weather and was warmed up and
drivable in 30 seconds. In the seven years I've owned the car, and for at least
10 years before that, the carbs have never needed to be synced, or touched in
any other way other than to rejet them when I moved to sea level from Colorado.
Even with them jetted very large now, I can get over 40mpg on the highway (I
could get 50 in Colorado). I could do 80mph up a 7% grade, where I GUARANTEE you
a FI car couldn't make it to 60. The only thing, in 7 years of daily driving,
that has ever kept this car from running was the silicone pieces stuck in the
fuel line (see my previous emails). The best FI car I've ever encountered was
roughly equivalent to mine running on 3 cylinders.

Is it just that every FI I've encountered was not set up right, etc.? Maybe, but
if it's really THAT hard to find one usable, or to GET them usable, then that
just reinforces my reasons for not wanting anything to do with it.

There, now you may light the fire.