[T3] Old Type IIIs (cooling)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Feb 23 17:54:34 PST 2011

On 23 Feb 2011 at 16:02, Keith Park wrote:

> Actually, the Type 3 pancake cooling system is not as efficient as the type
> 1 system, which is why Berg talked me out of a 1776 years ago. Type 3's need
> a 2 stage fan and are the only ones that have it as they intake is not
> pressurized at speed as the type 1's are

How can this be? I'd expect the rear end of a beetle to be a low
pressure area, while the side panels of a Type 3 to be not much worse
than neutral.

I'm not sure the 1st stage of our fan has any real effect on air
delivery, since it runs at the same rpm but a much smaller radius
than the big fan. I suspect it is only there to be a pulley, and the
fan blades just help it to not do too much damage to the airflow.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org