[T3] Old Type IIIs (cooling)

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Feb 23 18:27:02 PST 2011

Well, after exhaustive attempts to cure my oil cooling problems with the T4
engine that was the final conclusion.  Jake had run into the same problem
once before in a Thing, and when the air intake was modified to pressurize
it the problem went away.  I cant or am not willing to cut up my intake so
Im stuck with not having a forced air intake.  I believe that the 2 stage
fan is a critical part to our cooling system with the intake we have.  This
is not the case with the T4 or even the Notch.

Im simply not getting enough cooling air in my 2L T4 on the highway and this
has not been a problem on these engines in T1 2 or 4 applications.  Im sure
open to other ideas, but my attempts to find them was pretty exausted before
I pulled that engine out last spring.

Keith

> Actually, the Type 3 pancake cooling system is not as efficient as the
type
> 1 system, which is why Berg talked me out of a 1776 years ago. Type 3's
need
> a 2 stage fan and are the only ones that have it as they intake is not
> pressurized at speed as the type 1's are

How can this be? I'd expect the rear end of a beetle to be a low
pressure area, while the side panels of a Type 3 to be not much worse
than neutral.

I'm not sure the 1st stage of our fan has any real effect on air
delivery, since it runs at the same rpm but a much smaller radius
than the big fan. I suspect it is only there to be a pulley, and the
fan blades just help it to not do too much damage to the airflow.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org