[T3] Old Type IIIs (cooling)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Feb 23 18:55:43 PST 2011

On 23 Feb 2011 at 21:27, Keith Park wrote:

> Well, after exhaustive attempts to cure my oil cooling problems with the T4
> engine that was the final conclusion.  Jake had run into the same problem
> once before in a Thing, and when the air intake was modified to pressurize
> it the problem went away.  I cant or am not willing to cut up my intake so
> Im stuck with not having a forced air intake.  I believe that the 2 stage
> fan is a critical part to our cooling system with the intake we have.  This
> is not the case with the T4 or even the Notch.

It occurred to me that the problem with the Type 3 cooling air system
(if there IS a problem) may be the length and size (conductance) of
the cooling air intake channels. They may just be too small (too much
pressure drop) for a much larger engine. The pressure drop would
actually be fairly easy to measure. Might be interesting, and then it
could be compared to a beetle and a Type 4.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org