[T3] Old Type IIIs

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Feb 23 18:47:17 PST 2011

On 23 Feb 2011 at 20:05, Keith Park wrote:

> But Dave... you wont get better performance out of ANY carb unless you do
> something else... open it up, port the heads, different cam or rockers etc.
> You can set the FI to run as rich or lean as you want and you wont increase
> the HP.  Along with the extra gas you need extra air, and that wont happen
> with the stock heads in stock form.

Not sure about this, but I think if you richen the factory FI mixture
quite a bit you will get more HP out of the engine. Not a lot, but
possibly noticable. It all comes at the expense of emissions and fuel
economy, however.

I'm guessing that the FI engine that started this response was never
running right, and we've all seen examples of that. It's amazing how
much difference it will make once you replace a worn out voltage
regulator or fix a frozen mech advance. These are the kinds of things
that the FI gets blamed for, but turn out to be simple to fix and
hugely rewarding to drive afterwards.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org