[T3] Old Type IIIs

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Feb 23 18:47:18 PST 2011

On 23 Feb 2011 at 7:58, James Lingenfelter wrote:

>     I will be ridiculed, as always, for saying this, but I still
> stand by it; my type III has been a daily driver for 7 years; if it's
> not running, my family is minus a car. It is used to ferry the kids
> around, has had to go on long trips, etc. Since I have owned it, I
> have known a FEW other people that used them as REAL daily drivers,
> with one friend basically using his as a work truck on unpaved
> mountain backroads, logging 1,000 miles a week or more. Everybody
> I've known that REALLY depended on a type III for serious dependable
> transportation would tell you what I'm about to tell you, and it's
> very simple: Throw the fuel injection system in the trash and put
> carburetors on it.

Sure, you may not have been able to get your FI to run right, but
don't blame the car. I drove FI Type 3s as daily drivers for 35
years. For most of those years, we had 2 such cars, daily drivers for
my wife and for me. They started and ran well from -30F to +112F,
from Death Valley to 8000', and seldom let me down, almost never for
a FI problem. I almost NEVER had to adjust anything related to the
FI. It was always rock steady decade after decade. I would still be
driving them except that I'm no longer willing to do so in our winter
salt while suffering from the lack of a practical heater.

Yes, you can put carbs on one, and with some effort you can get them
to run well with them. Most people fail at this, but a few, like you,
come out ahead. Yes, you can probably get slightly better HP, but
this won't come without an increase in emissions and a decrease in
fuel economy. Frankly, if you think you get 40 mi/gal, you're either
using Imperial gallons or you're not doing the math right. I don't
think my '62 beetle ever did that well.

Your complaint points to the one weakness in our FI systems: the lack
of good mechanics who understand them. Yours clearly didn't and I'm
afraid that experience is all too common. I'm my own mechanic, and it
was a steep learning curve in the early years. Not much was published
and even less was understood. That's one of the good things about the
internet and this list; it makes that info available for those who
care enough to ask and listen.

Perhaps you got 40 mi/gal one day and that's the day you remember. I
did that once, too, but then I discovered that I had a 25 mi/hr
tailwind on an interstate. Not a fair test.

So, yes, I'll give it to you and your carbs for HP, but for
emissions, fuel economy, long term reliability, and general
driveability, FI comes out on top.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org