[T3] Old Type IIIs (cooling)

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 19:48:39 PST 2011

In a message dated 2/23/2011 10:31:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jimmyandcher at yahoo.com writes:

My '68 has louver "inserts" attached with screws to the fender,
with  a rubber seal around them. I was told by somebody long ago that
these were offered by VW as some sort of "kit" after they changed  the
direction of the louvers, supposedly to improve cooling. Anybody  know
if there's any truth to that, or was this person smoking a Berg  Pipe?

Berg pipe. Actually it was a response by the USA dealers who did this to
accomidate customers "who thought" that the louvers should point in the other
 direction. Most customers never really knew that VW had been selling these
cars  for over 5 years (without any cooling issues) before they "started to
have  a problem" according to their owners. So the dealers did this to
placate their  customers, that's all. Russ told me he did a few while he was at
the dealership,  back in the late 60's.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)