[T3] Cooling...etc.

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu Feb 24 16:24:41 PST 2011

Well, there aren't many folks that have looked into this issue, because with
a stock engine its not really a problem, in the temperate areas at least...
but this is something Ill have to try with the T4 if I ever go back to it...
the stock T3 cooling intake was indeed, very insufficient for the big 2056,
and since the cooling air intake of the T4 is actually smaller than the T3
Ive concluded it's the lack of a pressurized cooling air system.

Ill have to see if I can see the difference with my stock engine too, I
don't want to deal with the asthetics of scoops but I had thought of trying
that....
Stainless steel ones however...

Hmmm...

Keith

One of the things he did at this time, to gain better cooling, was to
analyze the cooling air intake system.  One of the glaring problems on the
T-3's is the "drip" tubes and flaps at the bottom of the louvers, next to
the valve covers.  These are a primary area of pressure loss in the system.
He put a spring "catch" on these flaps to keep the pressurized air "in the
system."  Periodically, he opened them up and cleaned the interior of the
flotsam. This, in effect, created a better "pressurized" cooling effect.  I
use this as well with my '69 2110cc SB, along with the fiberglass scoops
from my brother's car. I have some custom steel scoops should I ever decide
to "restore" the car.  But, in any case, this trick really works.
I won't enter the carb/FI showdown, but I'll say that I like Webers for many
reasons, including good mileage.
Hope this helps,
Best regards,
FE Meek