[T3] Water leak

Bryon Garvin spinningrooves at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 13:59:14 PST 2011

Hi all -

Somehow water is getting into my Fastback.  Before I begin, I have lots of
notes about where to look for leaks, but the reason I'm writing is that I
don't drive this car in the rain so it's happening when parked.  I was
hoping to get some guidance on which areas to check on a car that doesn't
move except when dry.  I'm assuming the spots in the wheel wells are not the
issue?

Some things to consider:

   - Car sits on level ground
   - Water mostly seems to be on the passenger side
   - It's damp carpet, not measurable water pooling
   - Can't tell if the water is coming from above and that's why carpet is
   wet all the way up the sides to the vent knob by passenger knee....or if the
   water is just wicking up the carpet and the source of the problem is
   actually lower
   - I installed a new door seal on the right side and feel that it's sealed
   well now and probably isn't the problem
   - Both door drain holes are clear on each door
   - Water drain tubes are clear per Jim's FAQ on fixing that
   - I've seen the battery well filled with water before, but that hasn't
   happened since I now use a car cover and have the new seal on the right
   door.

Are the air intakes above the rear wheels a place that water can get in ?
How would you know if your windshield seal was leaking?

Trying to isolate this problem.  Again, since I don't drive it except on dry
days, the water is coming in on its own and not through splashing.

Thanks very much,

 - Bryon, '71 Fastback