[T3] Fuel Delivery

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 10:39:15 PST 2011

Jim Adney wrote:

*Gary Forsmo did some tests on pump delivery rate. I don't recall
his**results exactly, but I think they were something like 3/4 liter
per
** minute or about 1/4 gal/minute. If you traveled at 100 mi/hr and used gas
at that rate, you'd be getting about 6 mi/gal. Having done 100 mi/hr in a
Type 3, I can assure you that the gas mileage is at least 3 times better
than that, even at 100 mi/hr.*

* Gary, correct me if I'm way off on your pump delivery rates.*

Following is my Email to Jim after he did a re-build on my Fuel Pump.

*My VW Fuel Pump Test to measure the volume of fuel it delivered.

I had a 2-gallon container to submerge the fuel pump in diesel fuel, and
another container as a "catch receptacle".  I made up a 2-wire harness with
spade connectors on one end (to attach to the electrical connectors on the
pump) and on the other end of the harness, I used my jumper cables from our
motor home 12-volt batteries.

With everything ready to go, it took 3 people to accomplish the test.
*

   - *#1 person held the pump & "suction" hose in a container of diesel fuel
   and the "delivery end of the hose" in an empty container
   *
   - *#2 person used the jumper cables to energize the pump*
   - *#3 person operated the stop watch*

*We ran two tests, each 1 minute in duration.
*

   - *Test #1 delivered 22.5 fluid ounces (665.404ml)
   *
   - *Test #2 delivered 24.0 fluid ounces (709.765ml)*

*Test #1 had a slight delay in delivering fuel.  I attribute that to the
fact that, even though the entire pump was submerged, it needed a short
period of time to "prime" the pump and eject the diesel fuel into the
"catch" container.  Test #2 seemed to be a more accurate test for measuring
the amount of fuel delivery.

Anyway, not knowing what to expect, I'm satisfied with the results.
Delivery is slightly more than one fifth of a U.S. gallon per minute.

Does this appear to verify/confirm previous information that you or other VW
"experts" have about the VW Fuel Pump?

FritoBandito - '69 T3 Variant, FI, MT
*