[T3] MPG

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 20:20:02 PST 2011

 Perhaps you got 40 mi/gal one day and that's the day you remember. I
did that once, too, but then I discovered that I had a 25 mi/hr
tailwind on an interstate. Not a fair test.

*I am always amazed at people who "claim" exceptional MPG.  One tankful, one
day, driving through (for instance Nebraska) at 55 MPH, etc.  and that is
their "benchmark".

My Dad bought a new 4-door Custom 1959 Nash Rambler.  He always recorded
every gallon that went into the tank.  EVERY GALLON!  That's what I have
done too ... on my motorcycles, boats, cars and motor home.

Anyway, my Dad worked at a feed mill and was able to buy his gas at the
company gas pump.  He told his co-workers that that Rambler got 42 MPG from
day one and for the first 2 months.  Then for some inexplicable reason, his
mileage dropped to 18 MPG during the next two months.

Little did he know that his co-workers were adding "unrecorded" fuel, a
gallon at a time, during those first two months.

Then, unknown to him, they started to siphon a few gallons of fuel OUT of
his tank, every week or so.  It was a 4 month practical joke.  Every one got
a big laugh out of it.  Except my Dad. That was before he bought a lockable
gas caps.

Sorry for the long MPG story.  But many MPG claims are just NOT accurate.
*