[T3] Cali smog test

Phil Hof phil.hof at ostronic.org
Sat Feb 26 19:09:26 PST 2011

Effective 04/01/05: Under the old law, 1975 and subsequent model year
vehicles became exempt from Smog Check when they turned 30 years old. A 1976
model year vehicle was exempt in 2005, a 1977 in 2006, etc.

Under the new law... commenced April 1, 2005, exempt from smog check
requirements are any motor vehicle manufactured prior to the 1976
model-year. All vehicles 1976 and newer vehicles will be tested according to
state emission law. This law repeals the 30-year rolling exemption.

This is the biennial check requirement.  I believe, though I am not 100%
sure, that when registering it for the first time in the state, you may have
to have all equipment installed that was there when new.  It should be in
working order, but they have no means other than visual inspection for the
evap system.  Install it, connect hoses, and you should be fine.

It's a little tougher if you had EGR or other obsolete/broken/unfixable
equipment originally.  But again, make it LOOK right, and they will probably
believe it is good.  Neatness implies correctness, so make sure it has new
hoses and no greasy leaks.

-Phil