[T3] fuel pump output

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Feb 26 19:01:40 PST 2011

On 26 Feb 2011 at 14:12, Fred Simmons wrote:

> i recently measured my fuel pump output in a simpler way.
> its less hi tech than gary's but possibly more relevant to actual usuage.
> my pump is 3 yr. and had a new filter. the fuel pressure was 29 psi.
> i attached a length of hose to the cold start tee and clamped it off, put the end in a quart bottle, jumped the fuel pump, unclamped the hose and measured the output twice ( but not to 3 decimal places!).
> both times it  filled in 40 seconds= 48 oz./min.

That sounds like a very healthy pump. Someday I'd like someone to do
the same test, but take the output from the return side of the
pressure regulator. That would measure the output when the pump is
actually working against the 29 psi.

The easiest, and most accurate, way to do this would be to pull off
that hose from under the gas tank, plug the gas tank line and then
measure the flow returning from the engine. That would take all the
pressures and pressure drops into account.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org