[T3] More Fuel Pump Output Thoughts

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 17:16:43 PST 2011

 Another interesting measurement (to me) might be:

> Engine running at WOT, (two runs [opposite directions] 7,040 ft. = 1.333
> miles, on a level road, calm wind, tire psi at spec., etc.) and how much
> excess fuel is returned to the tank.

You could do that, but it's a lot harder and rather dangerous,
running gas into a container inside the car during a high speed run.

*I hate to admit it, but I've done dumber things with motorized conveyances
(cars, boats, motorcycles, etc.) ... but mostly 60+ years ago.

At our saltwater test facility in Siesta Key and later at Placida, Florida I
vaguely remember a device that "they" used to measure fuel consumption on
outboards, inboards and stern drives.  Yeah, I know ... different fuel
delivery system, no excess fuel return, MUCH bigger quantity usage,  but
there ought to be a reasonably simple ... not dangerous, way.

Like, diverting the return fuel with a valve into a large container for a
one minute interval on each test run.

Ah ... probably just frivolous thought.

Gary
*