[T3] MPS calibration

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jan 3 16:20:45 PST 2011

Well, what I MEANT was that the owner cant do it, im sure Bosch had a
complex and dedicated machine for setting them up.  I agree with Jim, its
most likely mutual inductance that is being measured, but the correct spec's
for setting up something like the inner stop are not available.

Keith

On 2 Jan 2011 at 18:21, Keith Park wrote:

> Ahh... well, now you have touched that inner stop adjustment your totally
> Boned.
>
> First off, you cant really adjust these with inductance reading except to
> get in the ball park, and you NEVER want to touch that inner stop
adjustment
> as its made for a particular unit to keep your car from spiking too lean

I really don't buy this, because I believe all the PSs were
calibrated and sealed at the Bosch factory, long before they ever saw
a particular engine on the VW assembly line. If that wasn't the case,
there'd be no way for VW to stock suitable replacements. That means
there has to be a way of calibrating them without an engine.

I agree that inductance probably won't do it. My bet is on mutual
inductance. [Mutual inductance is the measure of what the voltage is
on one coil of a transformer when you vary the current in the other
coil. It is a measure of the amount of coupling between the primary
and secondary, which is what changes with pressure in the PS.]

OTOH, quite a few of the later PSs came with black or white paint
dots which must have meant something, but I've never read anything
about them. My guess is that the brains were also marked somehow
(perhaps with a sticker that later fell off) so that better matched
pairs could be mated on the assembly line.

Russ, have you ever heard anything about those paint dots? Were paint
dot variations ever available as replacements?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org