[T3] Vacuum Leak

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 8 18:02:17 PST 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 01:10:11 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Vacuum Leak
>
> On 7 Jan 2011 at 21:25, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > Well then, what would cause one cylinder to run richer than the other
> > three, and then foul the plug?  I tested the injectors under pressure,
> > and they are not leaking and have a good spray pattern.  The cylinder
> > running rich is one, and the pinched nose seal is two.  Both injectors
> > are rebuilt.  I have always installed the injectors with the nose seal
> > on: should I install the seal first?
>
> I've not seen good results from rebuilt injectors. My impression is
> that they don't always meter out the correct amount of fuel. New or
> used bosch 007s are what you want. Keep in mind that if the plug is
> fouling, the problem may not be too much gas, it may be too little
> compression or too much oil leaking past the rings.

Well, will see if that is the case.  Bob's test should show this, and if
the injector is not spraying what appears to be the same, might have a
spare injector.  There are no knew ones, as far as I know.  Oh, and the
rebuild is for the seals and maybe the valve; the windings are still the
same.

> I also install the seal on the nose of the injector first. Then you
> have to make sure that it seats nicely in the manifold when you
> install it.

How?  Not real easy, especially with the fuel line fighting one the
whole way.  The F.I. hose seems to be stiffer than the other low
pressure fuel hose (F.I. hose not my doing nor approved, especially
considering it is 7mm).

> > Where is the vacuum leak?
>
> ??? You're the one who reported finding it. You tell us.

What I mean is, you say it is not the injector seal, so what else could
it be?  The spray was general, so only know what general area, and I am
under the impression stock F.I. gaskets do not leak.  That seems to
elemenate the possibilities...

Thank you so very much!
Adriel