[T3] Vacuum Leak

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 17:35:55 PST 2011

Took ridiculously long, but the videos loaded.  The first two was before, and the third is current.  It is the latter that I like to focus on, as want to be sure I am alright.  My card ran out of memory, otherwise it would have been longer.

Without further adieu, here is the last time tuning/adjusting it.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVT_-KsK4Jw[/youtube]

Then the first drive since it was pulled into Jack's place last January.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCY1Fz-j_pE[/youtube]

Then as it is currently.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5-BRXQltmg[/youtube]

I went out to Jack's Sunday and stayed until a good bit after dark and dinner.  Did have a good advantage, as Jack fed me an absolutely fantastic Chicken and Rice dish.  That day, pulled the 1-2 runner, and found black spray pattern of black on the gasket and the head.  Cleaned and checked all the surfaces, put the runner back in, and did as Adney said to do: loosen it all, and get it all sitting comfortably.  This is when I noticed the runner was rocking on the head.  Actually managed to get the guru himself, Russ, and said swap.  Gave some really good advice on how to use R.T.V. between the runner, gasket, and head; only a light smear.  So, swapped the whole intake system, plugged the fuel line going to the cold injector, and replaced the rebuilt injectors with good used (way better than my old injectors that are on the other bank, and Adney thinks the rebuilts might be an issue).  By this time, it was getting dark.  Tried to start it but Jack said fuel pressure was not building.  Then we smelled gasoline, and he went to do something after setting up a light for me.  Grounded the pump, and one of the replacement injectors shot a three foot stream nearly in my face!  :shock:  :lol:   I did not want to replace the hoses because of past trauma, and the rubber was soft and no apparent cracking.  Do not remember all the details, but he offered a Dremel.  He showed me how to use it, and off the crimps went; took no more than ten minutes.  He went in to eat, and I put the hoses on the injectors, hooked them up, and tested under pressure; no leaks.  Turned the engine over to fire the injectors, but could not make it happen.  Decided I could get a distributor later and do it.  Think it is because wire number 18 is not installed.  Once it was all good, started it up, and the first minute or two it ran a bit rich, and popped when the throttle snapped closed.  Also, with the A.A.R. installed idle is 1200R.P.M., and 850R.P.M when plugged with my finger; the bypass is about a turn and a half open.  Went inside, as it was forty degrees, and I was too out of calories and said Monday.

Monday helped Jack part of the time, and when he left, decided the Squareback was too much of a mess to work in; was getting frustration not finding things.  Took a good bit of time, but set up the meters, and fired up the engine.  Idle was a bit low, but quick adjustment did it.  Had trouble with the timing light killing the engine, so gave up the second time, and hooked up the battery charger.  Tried to fix the dome light switch.  Was not successful getting it apart to clean out all the corrosion sticking it up, so went to leave.  Was checking the Buick before taking off, and Jack came up and asked what was wrong.  Mentioned the timing, and he said something about the grounds.  He checked the timing, which is jumping around seven to 10 degrees: should it move this much?