[T3] Vacuum Leak

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jan 12 19:53:39 PST 2011

On 11 Jan 2011 at 17:35, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> pulled the 1-2 runner, and found black spray pattern of black on the
> gasket and the head.  Cleaned and checked all the surfaces, put the
> runner back in, and did as Adney said to do: loosen it all, and get it
> all sitting comfortably.  This is when I noticed the runner was rocking
> on the head.

Something wasn't flat. What was it? The head is pretty solid, the end
of the runner is a steel casting, only the gasket has the potential
of not being flat, unless there's some other object caught in there.
Find the problem, then fix it.

> Once it was all good, started it up, and the first minute or
> two it ran a bit rich, and popped when the throttle snapped closed.  Also,
> with the A.A.R. installed idle is 1200R.P.M., and 850R.P.M when plugged
> with my finger;

That sounds about right for a cold AAR (or an AAR that's stuck open.)
You won't know which until the engine warms up.

> Had trouble with the timing light killing the engine,

I've seen this, too. Don't know why it happens sometimes.

> He checked the timing, which is jumping around seven to 10 degrees:
> should it move this much?

No, that's way too much. Is there side play in the dist shaft? Or is
the dwell (point gap) set way wrong?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org