[T3] Vacuum Leak

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 20:55:55 PST 2011

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:53:39 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Vacuum Leak
>
> On 11 Jan 2011 at 17:35, Adriel Rowley wrote:
>
> > pulled the 1-2 runner, and found black spray pattern of black on the
> > gasket and the head.  Cleaned and checked all the surfaces, put the
> > runner back in, and did as Adney said to do: loosen it all, and get it
> > all sitting comfortably.  This is when I noticed the runner was rocking
> > on the head.
>
> Something wasn't flat. What was it? The head is pretty solid, the end
> of the runner is a steel casting, only the gasket has the potential
> of not being flat, unless there's some other object caught in there.
> Find the problem, then fix it.

Sorry I did not make it more clear.  The runner's flange was warped about
half to three quarters of a millimeter when I set it on a true edge.
Russ said it was due from over torquing, so used my new 1/4" torque wrench,
and set it to 168 inch pounds so as not to do the same on the replacements.

As for fixing it, why bother when I have replacement parts?  Plus, still
have no files, and really like to make it true on a head sitting on a bench.
;)

Which reminds me, can you please send the new charging system write-up and
the T.P.S. write-up?  Like to double check things. ;)

> > Once it was all good, started it up, and the first minute or
> > two it ran a bit rich, and popped when the throttle snapped closed.  Also,
> > with the A.A.R. installed idle is 1200R.P.M., and 850R.P.M when plugged
> > with my finger;
>
> That sounds about right for a cold AAR (or an AAR that's stuck open.)
> You won't know which until the engine warms up.

How long is that with stock cooling, i.e. thermostat and flaps?  Seems to get
warm much faster than the old engine, which had none of it.  Though, rebuilt
engines run a tad hotter until all is happy, or I.I.R.C., 6,000 miles.

> > Had trouble with the timing light killing the engine,
>
> I've seen this, too. Don't know why it happens sometimes.

well, good to know you have seen it... ;|

> > He checked the timing, which is jumping around seven to 10 degrees:
> > should it move this much?
>
> No, that's way too much. Is there side play in the dist shaft? Or is
> the dwell (point gap) set way wrong?

I did not notice any play.  Dwell was right in the middle of range.  F.Y.I.,
this is the one you got and rebuilt for me.

Thank you so very much! :D
Adriel