[T3] "Correct" Bosch vs."new" Solid State VR

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jan 15 18:30:55 PST 2011

On 15 Jan 2011 at 19:51, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> "What's the feeling about the original style vs. the Solid State VR?"  Jim,
> I believe you installed an original (mechanical?) style VR instead of the
> Solid State VR in my '69 Variant.  Dependable operation and longevity ...
> which one seems to be favored?  Or is the solid state VR "too new" to have
> stood the test of time?  Of the list members, are most of us still running
> the original style?

A couple people here have the new ones, but I've never dealt with
them. I need to try one. I'll bet they work just fine, but I'm
annoyed by the fact that the whole cover is electrically hot. This
means that letting a seat belt slip down there could lead to
something really exciting. I don't see why that would be necessary,
because done properly there should be no need for much of a heat
sink, which is what Bosch appears to be doing here.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org