[T3] Tire failure?

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Jan 17 20:25:51 PST 2011

In a message dated 1/17/2011 7:28:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nurofiz at knology.net writes:

When I  bought Foster a few years ago, it came with nearly new tires.  I
think  they're made by Kelly - a brand called "Arizonian".

Last month, another  of those tires went flat while driving to work (in the
bitter cold).  I  took it to a reputable mo-and-pop tire place and the
called to tell me that  the sidewall was about to fail on it (probably in
similar fashion as the  previous tire).

So I've lost two tires in about as many months.   Still plenty of good
tread on them.  Do these tires have a  "history"?

The "Arizonian" was a tire sold by Discount tire (under Good Year license).
 They haven't sold them since 2005 (the last time I got 4 that I  special
ordered). They were a decent economy tire though. I had 1 let go  last winter
(09-10) sitting in my back yard (from a set of  4) that were bought back in
1998, and a second one that wasn't too far  behind it from dry rot. The
other 2 stayed on their rims until after I  brought my T-34 back from Russ's
(the T-34 was towed on them) then the  rims got 4 new tires mounted on them.
They mostly suffered from weather checking  (dry rot), and probably age, but
were made in Brazil. I couldn't complain too  much, as I did have them for
over 10 years. The tires that replaced them were  made in China though, so I
probably won't get the years out of them.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)