[T3] Tire failure?

Chris Slaymaker nurofiz at knology.net
Tue Jan 18 04:19:27 PST 2011

These tires (Kelly Metrics) were not made in China or Korea, but made in Brazil.  (There was discussion that tires of oriental origin were of inferior quality.)

It was suggested that these tires were old.  The date code indicates they were made in 2002.

Curb damage was mentioned as a possibility, and that's what the tire store offered as a possible reason.  Often, that is seen on tires mounted on the right side of the vehicle, but both tires that failed were mounted on the front left wheel at the time of their failure.

Many of the tires out there are made in the orient.  Kumho is a brand that is mentioned often in this thread. Nexen is what I replaced the Kellys with.  I have a set of Nankooks on my bus.

Chris Slaymaker
1971 Westfalia "Lurch"
1971 Squareback "Foster"
Knoxville, TN