[T3] Tips on removing stuck rear torsion bars

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 22 10:09:43 PST 2011

> From: thorkhild at hotmail.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 09:29:43 -0800
> Subject: [T3] Tips on removing stuck rear torsion bars
>

> I need some advice on how i can remove the rear torsion bars. I basicaly have a bare swingaxle subframe with the end covers and spring plates removed. I can't seem to free the bars from the inner splines. Any suggestions?
>
> BTW the subframe is not attched to the car.

Well, just going to make it both harder and easier.  First, going to have to secure it so you can tap on it and pull hard.

for a stuck torsion bar, you can tap the end of the other bar.  Remove the stuck bar, then use a piece of pipe or something else that will not get stuck in the bore, and tap the other one out.  Just be careful not to force the bar too inward as it might damage the splines.

Once the bars are out, clean thoroughly, especially any rust.  Before putting them back in, going to need to grease them well.

Hope this helps,
Adriel