[T3] Tips on removing stuck rear torsion bars

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jan 22 15:17:42 PST 2011

On 22 Jan 2011 at 9:29, Eric Nielsen wrote:

> I need some advice on how i can remove the rear torsion bars.   I
> basicaly have a bare swingaxle subframe with the end covers and spring
> plates removed.  I can't seem to free the bars from the inner splines.

You can try tapping on one side to see if you can drive the other
side out, or at least get it to move slightly. You could also put a
spring plate back on and push it in the opposite torque that it's
spent its last 45 years at. Rock it back and forth and see if you can
break the rust bond.

You might have to make a plate with a slot that could slide behind
the outer splined "knob" and have some threaded holes that you could
put bolts in to jack the rod out.

Are you just trying to salvage the torsion bars?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org