[T3] Mysterious squareback condition.... need suggestions.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jan 27 12:26:04 PST 2011

On 27 Jan 2011 at 10:48, James Lingenfelter wrote:

>    I've been doing some further research this morning, and determined
> that if I get a new coil, I need to get the Bosch blue coil made in
> either Spain or Brazil, that has the internal resistor. Apparently
> there are various grades of Bosch blue coils, some of them being no
> good. Never knew.

In the era where our cars came from, Bosch made 3 different groups of coils,
but there were several members of each group.

Most of the OE coils were black, but there were clearly MANY different versions
of those.

The Blue coils were "upgrade" coils meant to work with the standard Kettering
(points, condensor, coil) ignitions. There were several different versions of
those.

The Red coils were meant to work with various kinds of electronic ignitions,
and there were several different kinds of those, too.

I'm not surprised to hear that Bosch now makes fewer coil versions, but I'll
repeat the advise that you can't do better than find a good used OG black coil
for your car. I'm sure that they sometimes fail, but I've never seen a bad one.
Russ probably has, but he's seen a LOT more cars than the rest of us. Both he
and I have good used OE coils available.

--
Jim Adney
jadney at vwtype3.org
Madison, WI USA