[T3] Mysterious squareback condition.... need suggestions.

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 03:31:30 PST 2011

The red coil was sometimes fitted to help starting problems - it was a 9V
(ISTR) coil, using an external ballast resistor for running on 12V that was
short-circuited by a wire from the solenoid connection.  That meant for
typical starting voltages, the coil was running at near its normal rating.
I have one somewhere but didn't save the ballast resistor from the scrap
car.  Not a great problem to sort something out if I ever use it.  I think
newer VWs have a resistive lead instead.  That's something to bear in mind
if you ever use one from a more recent scrap car.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club