[T3] Newbie with dumb questions.

Tom Hottinger tdhotti at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 08:05:17 PST 2011

OK.  You guys have been a big help.  And kinda reaffirmed a lot of what I
was thinking when I wrote my post.  Now I'll give you a little more
background.  From 86 to 01 I built about 15 Bugs and Things.  Since there
was no decent shop close by a lot of people started filling up my weekends
with little maintenance projects to include a few Porsche 914s.  So when it
comes to the basics I'm pretty fair (or at least used to be).  I just don't
have the knowledge base on these Type 3s yet.

In 01 I had to decide if I wanted to tinker on Harleys or VWs and Harleys
won out.  Now with gas getting where it is and I'm riding a newer bike that
doesn't need a lot of tinkering I am getting back into VWs.

I still have several Bugs and a couple of Things, but at 50 with a 9 year
old I thought if I'm going to make a daily driver the Type 3 with air would
be the way to go.  I think I can bust 30 mpg and I'm not making a car
payment and watching it depreciate every day.

Been there, done that with the old cars sitting for long periods of time.
My intent is to pull it in flush the fuel system, change the oil, put a
battery in it and see what happens.  Then like you say once it's running see
where I am with brakes, etc.  Fortunately I have a ton of extra parts for it
in boxes in the shop (1 being a factory tach) to include brake lines and
calipers. Shortly after buying it I picked up a squareback with an automatic
trans and factory air as well as another fast back with a good body and
motor (some issue with the rear motor mount, they had welded a chain in to
hang the rear of the engine on).  But it fired up and I drove it the 10
miles to get it home. Additionally.  The Squareback with factory AC gives me
factory tin, pully and compressor mount to use with a new compressor.  Also
if I can find anyone who knows anything about these automatic transmissions
it gives me something to put into another car for a wife that swears her bad
knee is too bad to operate a clutch.

The 1776 hydraulic is a motor that I already have.  I ran it in my 73 Thing
for about a year before I decided I needed something a lot bigger.  Then my
Dad put it in his 74 Thing for about a year.  It probably has about 25 to
30K on it and the hydraulics never offered any issues.  So it is my first
choice because it is already there at no current cost. I'm trying to reduce
the amount of maintenance as much as possible.

This Fastback doesn't have FI already, it has a set of stock carbs on it so
it might be a 70 or 71 (I'll have tp pull the title out or check the numbers
before I start.  It does have the later (Freeway Flier) transaxle in it. My
only real interest in EFI is to try to eek out as much fuel economy as I can
get and again to reduce maintenance.  I drive an average of 75 miles a day
and it is costing me over $100 a week to feed my wife's Jeep Commander.

Looks like I'll probably leave the body stock and drive it like it is while
I look for a reasonably priced 69.

Thanx again for all of the information.