[T3] Newbie with dumb questions.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Jan 28 21:20:41 PST 2011

On 28 Jan 2011 at 10:05, Tom Hottinger wrote:

> OK.  You guys have been a big help.  And kinda reaffirmed a lot of what I
> was thinking when I wrote my post.  Now I'll give you a little more
> background.  From 86 to 01 I built about 15 Bugs and Things.  Since there
> was no decent shop close by a lot of people started filling up my weekends
> with little maintenance projects to include a few Porsche 914s.  So when it
> comes to the basics I'm pretty fair (or at least used to be).  I just don't
> have the knowledge base on these Type 3s yet.

Okay, good to know that you're already familiar with the basic beast.

> Been there, done that with the old cars sitting for long periods of time.
> My intent is to pull it in flush the fuel system, change the oil, put a
> battery in it and see what happens.  Then like you say once it's running see
> where I am with brakes, etc.  Fortunately I have a ton of extra parts for it
> in boxes in the shop (1 being a factory tach) to include brake lines and
> calipers.

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

> The 1776 hydraulic is a motor that I already have.  I ran it in my 73 Thing
> for about a year before I decided I needed something a lot bigger.  Then my
> Dad put it in his 74 Thing for about a year.  It probably has about 25 to
> 30K on it and the hydraulics never offered any issues.  So it is my first
> choice because it is already there at no current cost. I'm trying to reduce
> the amount of maintenance as much as possible.

If you have a hydraulic lifter system that works reliably, then there
are probably several people on this list who would like to hear the
details.

Before you put the 1776 in your Type 3 you MUST change it over to the
Type 3 version of the cooling system. This means swapping all the
cooling tin and adding the fan housing at the rear. If you try to get
away with just letting the doghouse stick up into the trunk space it
will rather quickly destroy itself because it will have only hot air
to cool itself. This is a fundamental difference in the engine
cooling system design.

> This Fastback doesn't have FI already, it has a set of stock carbs on it so
> it might be a 70 or 71

All Type 3s sold in the US from 68 on were EFI. Dual carb Type 3s
were sold here before that or could have been brought in from Europe.
If the carbs you have are actually OE Solex's, they may actually get
slightly better gas mileage than the FI, if they are set up properly.
Of course your mileage will depend on speed and other driving habits,
but at 65 mi/hr, expect 25-28 from the FI or 27-30 from Solex dual
carbs.

> My only real interest in EFI is to try to eek out as much fuel economy
> as I can get and again to reduce maintenance.  I drive an average of 75
> miles a day and it is costing me over $100 a week to feed my wife's
> Jeep Commander.

That's a goal we can all applaud.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org