[T3] Newbie with dumb questions.

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jan 29 10:21:53 PST 2011

The 1776's run too hot in the T3 tin, which is why Berg pushed me away from
their staple engine kit in a T3.  But as Brian will chime in, the proper
selection of cam, CR, distributor etc, will have a great affect too.  At any
rate, they still last quite a while in the T3 tin Id just be wary of heavy
use in hot environments.

Gee Jim, I get better mileage with the FI... and the square is heavier than
the Notch. You numbers for the FI are about what I get at 72-74, if I drove
65 Id be close to 30.  The Notch with the dual solexes is about 2-3 less,
however, it is a 1679.

Keith

Before you put the 1776 in your Type 3 you MUST change it over to the
Type 3 version of the cooling system. This means swapping all the
cooling tin and adding the fan housing at the rear. If you try to get
away with just letting the doghouse stick up into the trunk space it
will rather quickly destroy itself because it will have only hot air
to cool itself. This is a fundamental difference in the engine
cooling system design.

> This Fastback doesn't have FI already, it has a set of stock carbs on it
so
> it might be a 70 or 71

All Type 3s sold in the US from 68 on were EFI. Dual carb Type 3s
were sold here before that or could have been brought in from Europe.
If the carbs you have are actually OE Solex's, they may actually get
slightly better gas mileage than the FI, if they are set up properly.
Of course your mileage will depend on speed and other driving habits,
but at 65 mi/hr, expect 25-28 from the FI or 27-30 from Solex dual
carbs.

> My only real interest in EFI is to try to eek out as much fuel economy
> as I can get and again to reduce maintenance.  I drive an average of 75
> miles a day and it is costing me over $100 a week to feed my wife's
> Jeep Commander.

That's a goal we can all applaud.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org