[T3] Pneumatic screen washer Helphos Valve

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sat Jan 29 07:55:19 PST 2011

I did that when I refitted it - but (rather unhygienically) used good old
spit around the tyre connector and on the vent hole on the red valve top.
No bubbles came.   The washer on the main seal appeared to be good, soft and
undamaged.

On occasions I've had the tyre connector hiss when the hose was touched -
which makes me think it's more likely a problem with the seal between the
connector outer and the spigot.

Anyway, it seems to be holding pressure at the moment - can't get it hissing
- so maybe the swivel joint is sealing properly. I did work it round a
certain amount.  I guess it might also depend on the pressure - if it goes
too low, maybe the seal fails too.

We'll see.

Thanks for the offer, Keith.  I put in a plastic hose that has stopped me
getting wet soapy feet unexpectedly. Silicone rubber vacuum hose can be used
too.  You know me - I try to stay stock if I can, but if I change to
electric, I'll arrange a micro-switch to use the plunger of the original
valve somehow.  I think the valve assembly can be removed from the switch
end, but haven't looked recently.  I will then curse the fact I have to turn
on power to get the screenwash flowing!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club.