[T3] Blue Coil

James Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 29 16:17:38 PST 2011

  Results of latest test drive: Once again, I let the car idle in the
driveway about 15 minutes, then drove about 1 mile before problems
began; but this time the results were totally different than the last
test drive. THIS time, instead of 2 cylinders suddenly shutting down
and then returning 10 seconds later, I began to feel a gradual miss
which slowly developed into violent bucking under throttle; but idle
remained fine, whereas it wouldn't idle at all last time..... EXACTLY
as if the car is not getting fuel. Fuel filters are brand new and
clear; Fuel pump (electric) is nearly new and hasn't shown any signs
of failure.... but from my experience with fuel pumps, it is still
suspect.
   I am back at square one. Diagnosis between the pre-coil and post-
coil drives are 100% different. Unfortunately at this point, I may
have to dump the car off at a shop and let them isolate it. It's a
daily driver, and my wife and I are short one vehicle while I
frantically replace parts and follow various rabbit trails.