[T3] Blue Coil

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Jan 29 17:05:33 PST 2011

In a message dated 1/29/2011 5:17:19 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jimmyandcher at yahoo.com writes:

Results  of latest test drive: Once again, I let the car idle in the
driveway  about 15 minutes, then drove about 1 mile before problems
began; but  this time the results were totally different than the last
test  drive. THIS time, instead of 2 cylinders suddenly shutting down
and  then returning 10 seconds later, I began to feel a gradual miss
which slowly developed into violent bucking under throttle; but idle
remained fine, whereas it wouldn't idle at all last time.....  EXACTLY
as if the car is not getting fuel. Fuel filters are brand  new and
clear; Fuel pump (electric) is nearly new and hasn't shown  any signs
of failure.... but from my experience with fuel pumps, it  is still
suspect.
I am back at square one. Diagnosis  between the pre-coil and post-
coil drives are 100% different.  Unfortunately at this point, I may
have to dump the car off at a  shop and let them isolate it. It's a
daily driver, and my wife and I  are short one vehicle while I
frantically replace parts and follow  various rabbit trails.

I know you replaced the "external" fuel filters, but what's the condition
of the in tank sock? This definitely sounds like a fuel starvation problem.
If  the overflow hose (under the RF fender) has any cracks in the rubber, it
will  allow water to enter the tank. This water will lay there and collect
dirt and  other sludge and plug the sock. A way to test this is to remove
the fuel line  from the tank (wear eye protection, and have a container ready
to catch fuel  that will drain out), and see what kind of flow you're
getting out of the tank.  A nice strong stream is what you're looking for. If you
don't get that, the sock  is plugged, and will need cleaning or replacing.
If you get a good solid stream  of fuel out of it, then your pump is dieing
(like you suspect). I hope this  helps.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)