[T3] Newbie with dumb questions.

Brian Fye bfye at canyonville.net
Mon Jan 31 16:28:03 PST 2011

Well, I can only account for what I know...  Even on port and polish work, I
have it done differently.  Remember, these engines (all of them) were not
set up to race, but for usable street torque.  So, back to a port and
polish.  I do not have the intake side polished up completely, it still has
some roughness to it to keep fuel in turbulence.  The exhaust side is as
smooth as they can be.  (This is actually something I started to ask for
after building an A/H Sprite per David Vizard's book on the A series
engine.  BTW, that's the best $50 on a books I've ever spent).   Also, the
cam(s) are not radical in size and I run much more compression than most
do.  My most radical cam is an Engle w-120 and the 2332cc it is in has 9.7:1
compression.  My 2110 with a slightly bigger cam than an Engle w-110 has
8.8:1 compression.  I have talked with Engle directly about the limits of CR
on pump fuel and have gone with their recommendations, not traditional
engine builder choices.  I truely believe this is a key to better use of the
fuel and air going into the cylinder.   Finally, I also drive each car at
the rpm the engine dictates it likes best when I am on long drives.  For the
2332, that is 3200 rpm.  For the 2110, that is 3350rpm.
Finally, I short shift A LOT!  The benefit of the bigger engines are that I
don't have to wind them out to get out of my own way...
The down side to this way of doing things is that my peak HP is always lower
than others (if max HP is what you are after) and when I switch to the
turbo, it will effect any E.T. I try for.

--
Brian Fye
Canyonville Christian Academy