[T3] Newbie with dumb questions.

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jan 31 16:49:44 PST 2011

I have about 250Kmi worth of gas mileage readings going over 25 years of my
driving a squareback, I should graph it someday...  I know the trip to the
west coast last time averaged to 28MPG in 7200mi.  some of that was altitude
driving though.

Keith

Brian, like others on here incapable of getting mpg on stock engines
anything like your own (or Russ') on souped up and near-stock engines, I am
in awe of the mileages you two guys get.

While some on here reckon they can estimate their mileage by using part
tanks-full, if your figures were just estimates, we'd have rumbled you long
ago.

I wasn't suggesting you don't work these things out properly.  Even if I
drive at 65 (and we do still have miles thank goodness), I can't get close
to your mpg unless I calculate it in imp galls, which is 34 on the highway
over a 1000 mile journey).  That's about 27mpg US.  Jim has a long and
meticulous record of his fuel consumption, and IIRC he gets similar near
sea-level.

How can I improve that?
Where do you reckon you get the extra mpg from?

Dave.