[T3] FI Fuel Tank & Cup

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jan 31 21:42:24 PST 2011

On 31 Jan 2011 at 22:53, Gary Forsmo wrote:

>  If I ever pull the sender again, I'll make sure to find where the fuel
> return pipe, enters the bottom of the fuel tank/"cup" to locate the opening.
>
> Is there any danger in carefully cleaning of the wires?  My gas gauge needle
> has a "sticking point" at about 1/4th.  But I believe it's some sort of
> mechanical burr, when the fuel gets to that level.  A sharp rap on the dash
> cover, above the gas gauge solves that.

I've often seen problems with the fuel sender that seemed to be due
to a bit of corrosion on the wire, perhaps where gas stood there for
too long while in storage. That can often be cleaned off by drawing
the wire between 2 fingers. Don't pull too hard however, because it's
easy to stretch the wire and leave it too long, making more serious
repairs necessary.

If a rap on the dash "fixes" your problem, however, that sounds like
the problem is in the dash gauge. I've never had a problem there,
other than poor electrical contact between the gauge retaining
springs and the backside of the dash.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org