[T3] FI Fuel Tank & Cup

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 20:53:31 PST 2011

*Dave --

Apologies to all.

I misstated the location of the hole inside the "cup" and how the return
fuel continues to supply fuel to the fuel pump until the last of the fuel is
drawn out of the "cup" and the brass(?) filter is exposed to air..  The
drawing makes perfect sense.

When I was trying to locate the hole in the bottom of the "cup", I removed
the sending unit, shined a strong LED light down into the tank.  I used a
stiff (clean) wire to "feel" my way around the transition from "cup" bottom
to sidewall.  Didn't find the hole.  Duh.  It's in the BOTTOM of the "cup".
  If I ever pull the sender again, I'll make sure to find where the fuel
return pipe, enters the bottom of the fuel tank/"cup" to locate the opening.

Is there any danger in carefully cleaning of the wires?  My gas gauge needle
has a "sticking point" at about 1/4th.  But I believe it's some sort of
mechanical burr, when the fuel gets to that level.  A sharp rap on the dash
cover, above the gas gauge solves that.

Thanks for the diagram and explanation.

Frito
*