[T3] Generator related questions

Paul P paul.ie at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 12:24:54 PST 2011

Hello all

Background ;  I’ve had an intermittent generator light coming on/off over the last three years of Type3 ownership - it used to come on sometimes (winter more often I think) and then
 go off after a minute or so. This pattern could disappear for months.  However, lately the light comes on at start-off and stays on - it needs a press on the top brush to put it off for the duration of a drive (this action decreases the idle speed by about 60 rpm) ;battery will
 then get its 14.1V at med/high speed. So I decided to physically examine the brushes etc (as a first step) .  Some questions ;

-
1.  I’ve read that the T3 generator brushes** had notch sloping different direction than T1 ones ?? - if so, are these still available?? Haven't seen them on any of the sites.  Mine seem to
 be the normal beetle ones- notch, at the top, sloping away and down as you look at the brush with the wire side towards you. I’m going to try new ones to see if it improves the situation- although both the current Bosch ones had worn by 5 mm- not a huge amount since they were still a bit above the holder.    (** the original Bosch number on the 1970 Bosch service list was 2 107 014 016,  to be replaced by 1 107 016 and maybe replaced again?! - don't know the VW numbers)

-
2.  There is what appears to be a lot of dirt and fibrous type ‘junk around one side of the cooling aperture on the underside of the generator (as in Haynes manual p 149 photo12.10a) , but it looks like some form of insulation !  Should I remove all this stuff ?? There is some bright exposed copper strands (running length of generator), where I picked off some- its not the armature ? with the segments.

-
3. I noticed that the belt ( which seemed to have the right tension) had a significant split of a few mm at one point - so I am going to replace it. I have a
 recommended Bosch replacement part, 8713,  with is 10 x 10000 mm and toothed - maybe the original Continental is prob slightly better at 9.5 x 10000 and V shape,  but can I presume the Bosch will be ok for a few years at least (low mileage) ??

Thank you in advance.

Paul,
Cork,
Ireland.
1970 Notch- 1500cc

Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food

The information contained in this email and in any attachments is confidential and is designated solely for the attention and use of the intended recipient(s). This information may be subject to legal and professional privilege. If you are not an intended recipient
 of this email, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part of it. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this email from your computer system(s).

An Roinn Talmhaíochta, Iascaigh agus Bia

Tá an t-eolais san ríomhphost seo, agus in aon ceangláin leis, faoi phribhléid agus faoi rún agus le h-aghaigh an seolaí amháin. D’fhéadfadh ábhar an seoladh seo bheith faoi phribhléid profisiúnta nó dlíthiúil. Mura tusa an seolaí a bhí beartaithe leis an ríomhphost
 seo a fháil, tá cosc air, nó aon chuid de, a úsáid, a chóipeál, nó a scaoileadh. Má tháinig sé chugat de bharr dearmad, téigh i dteagmháil leis an seoltóir agus scrios an t-ábhar ó do ríomhaire le do thoil.