[T3] Endless Fuel Problems Not Ended...

J. Jonik j_jonik at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 15:16:30 PST 2011

Sqbk. 72 engine FI  Std shift.

Despite a long time trying to figure out why this car runs so rich that it has dripped gas, and diluted the engine oil significantly----and trying to follow directions to test and isolate problem areas....it's back to being as bad as ever, if not worse.

  It USED to start up after stalling, with cranking, after a few minutes wait, but now...even a new battery couldn't crank it to start. Had to be pushed home. Lucky, not TOO far.
 Found that the oil reading was WAY up the dipstick....maybe twice as much fluid (now half gas, of course) as normal reading.  Drained that out, let car sit for two days...put in a quart and a half of new oil (to be able to notice any more flooding while car is idling). I'm not going to trust this car to the road til this is solved.  My girlfriend's car is too small to push it home regularly.

So...I will re-find the directions re/ doing Volt-Ohm meter checks of everything that's likely suspect.   I just bought a new Volt meter...not trusting the previous one.

 But today, both the new and old meters had unconnected and connected battery at 12.29 volts---Battery with engine running (yes) at  13.50 volts.....and battery with engine revved at 14.60 volts.   Isn't that about right?  Does this test eliminate concerns about battery and Voltage Regulator?
  And, I think I spent $20 on new meter unnecessarily...not to mention $5 for that tiny one inch long 12V battery.

 Battery is only about 2 months old.  Got it as free replacement for previous battery that turned out unable to take a charge.  (It was under a year old.)
 Question----  Can electrical screw-ups in the car kill a battery like that?    If so...what component(s) are capable of doing that?...i.e, making it un-chargeable?

 Have borrowed Fuel Pressure Gauge on hand.   Will test fuel pressure tomorrow. It was set at 29 psi when that was last done. Will check pressure AND for odd fluctuations while driving (around the block).
  Not sure what the fluctuations will tell me though.  Bad Pressure Sensor?  Bad Temp Sensor(s)?  Erratic Fuel Pump?

  Have I accidentally provided any clues here to diagnose the problem?