[T3] Endless Fuel Problems Not Ended...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jan 24 19:40:31 PST 2011

On 24 Jan 2011 at 15:16, J. Jonik wrote:

> Sqbk. 72 engine FI  Std shift.

>  But today, both the new and old meters had unconnected and connected
> battery at 12.29 volts---Battery with engine running (yes) at  13.50
> volts.....and battery with engine revved at 14.60 volts.   Isn't that
> about right?  Does this test eliminate concerns about battery and
> Voltage Regulator?    And, I think I spent $20 on new meter
> unnecessarily...not to mention $5 for that tiny one inch long 12V
> battery.

12.6 V is a bit high, unless you were measuring it right at the
generator. Where were you measuring it? Sometimes I have to set the
voltmeter up to measure the voltage so I can monitor it while
driving, so I can see what it's doing after it gets warmed up.

It's really hard to tell from way back here, but my impression is
that we may have gotten sidetracked into worrying about the voltage.
A bad VR seldom brings the car to a halt. There must be something
else wrong here.

Yes, most modern DVMs use a standard 9 V battery. I've never seen
anything else in a meter under 20 years old.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org