[T3] Water in Front compartment

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 08:52:34 PST 2011

*I spent 10's (maybe hundreds) of man-hours on my '69 Variant, MT/FI last
summer, fixin' fuel hoses, fuel pump, getting injectors cleaned and tested,
new set of "skins", etc.  Jim A. spent several more hours setting valve
clearances, rebuilding front and rear brake cylinders, adjusting brakes, new
VR, rebuilding fuel pump, etc.

When that was all done the Squareback was set to be stored for the Wisconsin
winter.  Decided to take it to a car wash (convenience, you know).  It was a
"touchless" drive-thru.  When the water spray hit the car, my wife and I
were soaked to mid-calf with water.  Of course, we're "stuck" in the wash
bay until the "wash/rinse/wax/rinse" cycle was completed.  By then the front
foot well was 2" deep ... and us laughing.  What else could we do?

I had taken the custom-built, magnetic covers off the outside vents.
Unbeknownest to me, the the drain tubes that exit the air box, were plugged
with debris. Normal, I guess because all sorts of "junk" from leaves, etc.
goes down thru the vents.  Jim helped me "rod" them out, (a flexible wire
down through the vents, fresh-air box, water outlet), cleaned out the two,
90 degree rubber hoses, and connections through the firewall that go
directly toward the rear of the gas tank and down to the pavement and now
everything is fine.  Those (in-front-of-the-windscreen) vents, air box,
hoses, connectors DO  need to be cleaned, once in a while.

Next time, the magnetic covers go on BEFORE it gets washed.

Frito - '69 (one owner) Variant MT/FI
*